Monday, February 21, 2011

A Cowgirl's Dream

Deep from sleep they called upon me
Voices filling a blue eyed sky
I was on a road rutted and narrow
Turned left at the fence, can't tell you why.

Something led me up that path
Following instinct intact and intune
A bird flew by, my eyes followed squinting
That ol' sun never lies, I knew it was noon.

I parked the car 'neath a gnarly old tree
Feeling coolness from the shade of its branches
Watched the gelded beauties in that pasture there
Throw hooves to the wind, delighting in their dances.

Across the way was a house of sorts
With a worn wooden porch so old
I wondered whose boots stepped before mine
What stories, heroic, begged to be told.

My hand reached for a tarnished brass knob
I opened the door with care and
Gazed in amazement for seated three deep in that room
The Buckin' Horse Cowgirls were there!

One looked deeply into my soul
Her hat so huge, I had to stare
She said, "Yes, I'm a cowgirl - a bulldogger too!"
I found out later, her name was Claire.

Someone yells, "Claire Belcher I challenge you!
Anyplace, anytime, anywhere!"
Why, It's Fox Hastings sitting next to you
They were bulldoggers you know, cowgirls extraordinaire.

Mabel Strickland's here and wants to say,
"I'm much more than a pretty face"
It's just that I love bronc ridin' so and prefer wearing
Woolie chaps to satin and lace.

All the girls are with us now!
I see Bonnie, Prairie Rose, Bertha Kaepernik
Some rode for show, some for money
Bertha says, "Bonnie, I always rode slick."

A woman walks from that room in my dream
Much older than most, she's no pup
Her stealy blue eyes look up into mine
Saying "Shirley, you have to hurry up!"

I said, "I made the movie - that's why we're all here
To watch the cowgirls story tonight"
Now Dolly is standing right next to me saying
"We're here Shirley, to make sure you got it right."





4 comments:

Cindy said...

LOVE it! I hope you don't mind, i just posted a link to you from my page on FB, Paper Cowgirl. We are an art group here in Texas, we love all things Cowgirl. Love your page, great stuff!

-Cindy
http://papercowgirl.blogspot.com/

Shirley Morris - Filmmaker said...

Hi Cindy! Thank you! I just found your blog and followed it - very nice!

Unknown said...

Shirley, we are looking forward to seeing you in Palm Springs at the West Fest. I can hardly wait to see your movie.

Shirley Morris - Filmmaker said...

Thanks John!
Make sure you come by and say hi at the signing table after the show.
Shirley